Bioeconomy and Climate Action in Rural Areas
Rural Bioeconomy is one of the sub-themes of the broader ENRD thematic work on 'Greening the Rural Economy'.
A Thematic Group (TG) has been working on this topic from September 2018 to July 2020.
From July 2018 to July 2019 the group focused on 'Mainstreaming the Bioeconomy'. The TG explored the different elements of environmentally sustainable rural value chains within the bioeconomy, how these can promote jobs, growth and inclusion in rural areas, and how they can be promoted, particularly through the use of the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD).
From July 2019 to July 2020 the TG focused on the topic of 'Bioeconomy and Climate Action in rural areas'. The TG explored the types of activity within rural bioeconomy value chains that provide the most significant climate benefits. It identified how such activities can be supported now and in the future, through relevant interventions under the post-2020 CAP Strategic Plans.
The TG contributes to the EU Circular Bioeconomy Strategy and Action Plan by enabling exchange on sustainable ways of deploying bioeconomy in rural areas and by exploring how the Rural Development Programmes (RDPs) and other financing instruments can be best used to support this. The TG also aims at promoting synergies between new bioeconomy strategies at national and regional levels, and the CAP priorities on climate.
Information on Thematic Group meetings and related thematic outputs will be uploaded here on a regular basis.
Visit the ENRD Rural Bioeconomy Portal and discover relevant policies and inspiring projects across Europe!
- ENRD seminar on Climate Action and Resilient Rural Economy (25 June 2020) - see meeting highlights
- 4th TG Meeting (28 April 2020) - see meeting highlights
- Experiences of rural biogas production around Europe (19 March 2020) - see meeting highlights
- 3rd TG Meeting (19 February 2020) - see meeting highlights
- 2nd TG Meeting (11 December 2019) - see meeting highlights
- 1st TG Meeting (25 September 2019) - see meeting highlights
Briefings to orient CAP Strategic Planning
- Delivering Climate Change Mitigation and Rural Development – Lessons from EAFRD Support 2014-2020 (March 2021)
- Optimising the climate benefits of rural bioeconomy value chains - orientations for the CAP Strategic Plans (June 2020)
- Sequestering carbon in soil and retaining soil carbon stores - Orientations for CAP Strategic Plans (January 2020)
- The Economic Value of Climate Action within the Rural Bioeconomy (July 2020)
- Monitoring data and raising awareness of rural actors' contribution to climate action (April 2020)
- Decision support for climate action across the bioeconomy (January 2020)
- Initiatives for climate transition in the French dairy and beef sectors (July 2020)
- Low-carbon transition in the EU sugarbeet sector – bioeconomy as a new business model (July 2020)
- The wood biomass sustainability criteria in Slovakia (July 2020)
- Background paper for the Thematic Group (September 2019)
- ENRD Thematic Group on Bioeconomy and Climate Action in rural areas - Year 6 Workplan (September 2019)
- Seminar 'Bioeconomy: Seizing the opportunities for rural Europe' (3 July 2019)
- 3rd TG Meeting (15 May 2019)
- Videoconference (12 February 2019)
- 2nd TG meeting (17 January 2019)
- 1st TG meeting (9 October 2018)
- Scoping paper
- Work plan
- European rural bioeconomy: policy and tools - Conclusions from the TG (June 2019)
- Recommendations on the use of RDPs to mainstream the bioeconomy - Conclusions from the TG (June 2019)
- How to mainstream the bioeconomy in rural areas? Handout with recommendations (June 2019)
- How to use RDPs to support rural bioeconomy? Handout with recommendations for the future Strategic Plans (June 2019)
- Exploring the role of awareness‑raising and communication in promoting the development of sustainable bioeconomy value chains - Conclusions from the TG (June 2019)