Bioeconomy and Climate Action in Rural Areas
Rural Bioeconomy is the current sub-theme of the broader ENRD thematic work on ‘Greening the Rural Economy’.
A Thematic Group (TG) is working on this topic since September 2018.
From July 2018 to July 2019 the group focused on ‘Mainstreaming the Bioeconomy’. The TG explored the different elements of environmentally sustainable rural value chains within the bioeconomy, how these can promote jobs, growth and inclusion in rural areas, and how they can be promoted, particularly through the use of the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD).
From July 2019 to July 2020 the TG will focus on the topic of ‘Bioeconomy and Climate Action in rural areas’. The TG will explore the types of activity within rural bioeconomy value chains that provide the most significant climate benefits. It will identify how such activities can be supported now and in the future, through relevant interventions under the post-2020 CAP Strategic Plans.
The TG contributes to the EU Circular Bioeconomy Strategy and Action Plan by enabling exchange on sustainable ways of deploying bioeconomy in rural areas and by exploring how the Rural Development Programmes (RDPs) and other financing instruments can be best used to support this. The TG also aims at promoting synergies between new bioeconomy strategies at national and regional levels, and the CAP priorities on climate.
Information on Thematic Group meetings and related thematic outputs will be uploaded here on a regular basis.
Are you interested in becoming a member of the Thematic Group? Please express your interest here.
Visit the ENRD Rural Bioeconomy Portal and discover relevant policies and inspiring projects across Europe!
- 1st TG meeting (9 October 2018)
- 2nd TG meeting (17 January 2019)
- Videoconference (12 February 2019)
- 3rd TG Meeting (15 May 2019)
- Seminar 'Bioeconomy: Seizing the opportunities for rural Europe' (3 July 2019)
- Scoping paper
- Work plan
- European rural bioeconomy: policy and tools - Conclusions from the TG (July 2019)
- Recommendations on the use of RDPs to mainstream the bioeconomy - Conclusions from the TG (July 2019)
- How to mainstream the bioeconomy in rural areas? Handout with recommendations (July 2019)
- How to use RDPs to support rural bioeconomy? Handout with recommendations for the future Strategic Plans (July 2019)
- Exploring the role of awareness‑raising and communication in promoting the development of sustainable bioeconomy value chains - Conclusions from the TG (July 2019)