This ENRD workshop gave an overview of the current Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) support to young farmers and new entrants, showcased examples of innovative ways to enter farming, and explored opportunities to support generational renewal under the post-2020 CAP Strategic Plans.
The event, attended by 60 over people, was organised mid-way through the 2014-2020 programming period and following the European Commission’s legislative proposals on the post-2020 CAP, and was primarily intended for national authorities.
In this context, the workshop specifically looked to:
- provide an overview of the implementation of current CAP Measures supporting young farmers and new entrants, as well as lessons learned;
- present examples of innovative ways to enter farming;
- discuss how to design an effective strategy and targeted interventions for generational renewal in the future CAP Strategic Plans, and explore the opportunities arising from bringing together the two CAP Pillars in a single framework;
- collect and share opinions, ideas and other useful inputs.
- Young farmers: Policy implementation after the 2013 CAP reform, Kristine Bori, DG AGRI, European Commission
- Designing a generational renewal strategy in a single CAP Strategic Plan, Ricard Ramon i Sumoy and Chiara Dellapasqua, DG AGRI, European Commission
- Facilitating youth access to finance: opportunities provided by financial instruments, Nivelin Noev, DG AGRI, European Commission. Case study: Financial instruments within the EAFRD in Estonia (video)
- The Financial Instrument of the RDP of Castilla y León, Javier Ruiz, Junta de Castilla y León
- Access to land for new entrants, Alice Martin-Prével, European Network Coordinator, 'Terre de liens'. Handbook: Innovative ways to enter farming and access to land
- 'Farm sucess', Marion Picot, Policy Officer, CEJA/European Council of Young Farmers
- Supporting land mobility: the Irish experience, Denis Duggan, Chief Executive, Macra na Feirme and Austin Finn, Porgramme Manager, Land Mobility Service
Parallel group discussions
- Introduction to the group discussions: designing a CAP Strategic Plan
- Member States experiences: Spain, Isabel Aguilar Pastor, Spanish Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
- Member States expriences: Finland, Juuso Kalliokoski, Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry