Preparing the ex-ante evaluation: in a nutshell
- Tool 1.1 - Indicative roadmap for the ex-ante evaluation and Strategic Environmental Assessment of the CAP Strategic Plan: illustrates possible ways of organising the ex-ante evaluation and Strategic Environmental Assessment in relation to the programming process.
- Tool 1.2 - Indicative outline of terms of reference for the ex-ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plan: provides a generic template for tendering out the ex-ante evaluation. The template additionally provides practical hints to be considered while tendering the evaluation.
- Tool 1.3 - Indicative outline of terms of reference for the Strategic Environmental Assessment of the CAP Strategic Plan: describes the requirements of the SEA directive to be fulfilled and what needs to be considered to ensure the the SEA and ex-ante evaluation can be used in concurrence.
- Tool 1.4 - Stakeholder mapping checklist: supports the identification of different actors who could be involved in the ex-ante evaluation and SEA for the CAP Strategic Plan.
- To improve the quality of the design of the CAP Strategic Plan.
- To establish the starting point of the evaluation during the implementation period in 2021-2027.
- Scope and tasks of the ex-ante evaluation are specified in the legal proposal for the CAP Strategic Plan, regulation (COM/2018/392 final), Art. 125.
- The requirements of the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) are specified in the SEA Directive (2001/42/EC).
- The ex-ante evaluation should be carried out (e.g. tendered, contracted and managed) under the responsibility of the authority responsible for the preparation of the CAP Strategic Plan.
- The ex-ante can be contracted separately or jointly with the Strategic Environmental Assessment (depending on national legislation).
- The ex-ante evaluation should be developed by a functionally independent ex-ante evaluator, who provides step-by-step feedback on the various elements, which need to be appraised in the ex-ante evaluation.
- The Managing Authority ensures that the ex-ante evaluation conforms to the evaluation and monitoring system.
- The complete ex-ante evaluation report is submitted to the Managing Authority for approval by the independent evaluator.
- A summary of the main results of the ex-ante evaluation with a link to the complete ex-ante evaluation report together with the SEA in the Annex I of the CAP Strategic Plan is submitted to the European Commission by the responsible Managing Authority.
- How can the programming, ex-ante assessment and SEA be interlinked?
- How can uncertainties regarding the timing for the approval of the legal proposals be dealt with?
- How can the terms of reference for tendering the ex-ante evaluations be formulated?
- How can stakeholders involved in the process of the ex-ante evaluation be identified?
- What constitutes a robust ex-ante evaluation?
- Defining what must be covered in the ex-ante evaluation (tasks)?
- Examples of how to organise the ex-ante evaluation have been presented at the good practice workshop. ‘Getting prepared for the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plan’ in Brussels on 21 March 2019.
- Guidelines for the Ex-ante Evaluation of 2014 – 2020 RDPs
- Factsheet of an overview of the tendering and contracting procedures for the ex-ante evaluation in Slovenia of the rural development programme 2014–2020.
- Factsheet on the tendering of the ex-ante evaluation in Greece.