‘Smart Villages’ is the current sub-theme of the broader ENRD thematic work on ‘Smart and competitive rural areas’.
A Thematic Group (TG) is working on this topic between September 2017 and July 2018. The TG focuses on ways of revitalising rural services through digital and social innovation. It explores how rural services – such as health, social services, education, energy, transport, retail – can be improved and made more sustainable through the deployment of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) tools and through community-led actions and projects.
The TG contributes to the EU Action for Smart Villages by enabling exchange on innovative ways of creating more vibrant, sustainable and attractive rural areas and by exploring how the Rural Development Programmes (RDPs) can be best used to support this.
Information on Thematic Group meetings and related thematic outputs will be uploaded here on a regular basis.
Visit the ENRD Smart Villages Portal and discover the many inspiring networks and initiatives across Europe.
- Scoping Paper and Work Plan (working draft)
- 1st TG meeting 'Integrated strategic approaches to innovation in rural services' (26 October 2017) - see meeting highlights
- 2nd TG meeting 'Revitalising rural services through social innovation' (7 December 2017) - see meeting highlights
- 3rd TG meeting 'Revitalising rural services through digital innovation' (21 February 2018) - see meeting highlights
Case studies NEW!
- Digital Villages, Germany
- Strategy for Inner Areas, Italy
- Reciprocity Contracts, France
- ‘Smart Countryside’ study, Finland