RDP project database
Nice Wine, Mountain High
When the two young daughters of a Valdostaine family, Elena and Eleonora, embarked upon the family business, the time had come to refurbish the old winery. With the support of the EAFRD fund, the results were highly satisfactory.
Les Cretes is a small mountain farm, run by the Charrère family, covering about 12 hectares of vineyards and renting another 12. The farm is located near the city of Aosta, Italy, at an average altitude of 640 meters. The family-run business has already won a few national and international prizes for its wines.
The objective of the project was to renovate the winery to better answer the growing demand and to stay competitive on the national and international markets while maintaining the quality levels of its wine (70% of the production is sold at regional and national levels while the other 30% goes abroad).
Thanks to the funds of measure 112, this 'young farmers' business successfully expanded its winery, improving its barriquerie (that now hosts 100 barrels), built a new cold storage room for its 10,000 bottles of sparkling wine, created a new space to store the wine production materials, and set up a sophisticated tasting room able to accommodate up to 60 people (some 1,000 visits/year).
Results & Benefits
The farm became a well-known wine tasting spot, increasing the number of satisfactory clients and, as a result, its sales. In the same time, it decreased the amount of waste and made a better use of its internal resources while maintaining the overall quality of its production.
The beautiful and contemporary winery and tasting room, designed by architect Domenico Mazza, who received a prize awarded by the “Gambero Rosso” for his work, contributed to increase the number of bottles of wine sold, raising it to more than 190,000 bottles/year.
Project location and other information
Aymavilles municipality - Valle d'Aosta Region (Italian Alps)
Total project cost (€)
EAFRD contribution (€)
National contribution (€)
+39 0165 902274
Languages for contact
English, French, Italian
At a glance
Final beneficiary type
€20 000 - €99 999
Theme / Measure:
Competitiveness of Agriculture & Forestry
Promoting knowledge and improving human potential
112. Setting up of young farmers
Quality labels, Mountain area, Wine, Women, Young farmers