Finnish Environment Theme Year 2010
Environment, Information campaign, Thematic
The theme chosen for the Mainland Finland Rural Development Programme in 2010 was ‘the environment’. A number of events promoting efforts to care for the environment were organised during the year, including:
• A nationwide educational tour, involving 26 events focused on solving local and regional environmental challenges;
• National seminars were held in Tampere and Helsinki on to the latest scientific findings associated with agro-environmental efforts;
• The 2010 Rural Gala awards ceremony had a winner of the Environmental Effort of the Year award;
• The Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry organised an environmental campaign aimed at 10-12 year-old school-children in cooperation with the Finnish 4H Federation; • The campaign also featured at an agricultural exhibition aimed at children, which was held in Kauhava in the summer; • A report on non-production and special environmental was commissioned in late 2010.
& RDP Region(s)
The aim of the thematic year was to draw attention to rural environmental matters. It also aimed to highlight ways to improve the state of the environment through use of the diverse measures available through the Mainland Finland and Åland Islands Rural Development Programmes.
Rural Development Stakeholders:
> €100 000
Distribution & Promotion
The general public received information on topics that are usually considered difficult to understand. Concrete actions and completed products (banners, postcards, brochures…) were presented in a way that made them easy to discuss in the media. A journalists’ excursion was organised and a monitoring group of stakeholders was also set up, who provided recommendations and reviews.
Assessment of effectiveness
Assessment of Effectiveness:
• Was well received by the media;
• Involved a large group of stakeholders;.
• Communication materials were in great demand locally;
• A large audience was reached from different age groups and feedback was positive. 852 people attended the nationwide tour, 400 attended the national seminars and the children’s agricultural exhibition was extremely popular with 4000 visitors;
• It motivated people to take action (setting up wetlands);
• Has now become an annual event!
Name of organisation
Finnish Rural Network
National Rural Network
The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, the Agency for Rural Affairs, the Ministry of the Environment, the Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, the LEADER Local Action Groups (LAGs), the Finnish Rural Policy Committee working group for nature and landscape services, ProAgria, the Finnish Rural Women’s Advisory Organisation, the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities, the Central Union of Finnish Agricultural Producers and Forest Owners, the Central Union of Swedish-Speaking Agricultural Producers in Finland, various private consultants, WWF Finland, the Finnish Association for Nature Conservation, Birdlife Finland, the Finnish National Board of Education, and Project TEHO.
Name of contact person
Mrs Päivi Kujala, Mr Juha-Matti Markkola
PO Box 167, FI-60101 Seinäjoki, Finland
00 358 40 548 9227
https://www.maaseutu.fi/fi/index/ymparisto.html (in Finnish)