Restoration and preservation of St. Nicholas Church, in Telesti, Gorj County
- Deutsch nicht verfügbar
RDP support financed a series of restoration and basic works on a historic monument church in rural Romania.
St. Nicholas Church is located in Telesti, Gorj County, some 15 km from Târgu Jiu and 65 km from Drobeta Turnu Severin. It was built around 1746 and is a site of cultural importance. It is built in the shape of a cross with two turrets, while the paintings follow the Byzantine style. The building is included in Romania’s Historic Monuments List.
Rural development programme (RDP) support financed a series of restoration and basic works to secure the building and improve its functionality. These included church restoration; consolidation; church equipment; restoration of paintings; and works to repair the bell tower.
The investment made the church more accessible to parishioners and national and international tourists.
Local people were hired to do the project works. These include 20 people doing unskilled/low-skilled work; 15 people who are being trained in various traditional crafts such as masonry, stone carvers, carpenters, old painting and icons restorers. An unspecified number of full-time guides to the church will be hired following the completion of the works.