Promoting village tourism in Portugal
Identifying village tourism experiences that have resulted in successful practices to share and replicate them in other territories.
This project sought to identify a set of village tourism experiences that have resulted in successful practices and hence can be shared and replicated in other territories. In tracking these experiences, attention was not only paid to the final results of the initiatives, but also to the path that led to success.
In parallel, the project elaborated a specific methodology for the identification of good practices, which allows the continuous examination of the drivers for rural and village tourism taking a longer-term perspective. Other than the knowledge gained within the project, capacities were also built by strengthening networks between relevant actors and their promotion activities.
- 83 Villages joined the network of villages and several institutions (public and private ones) were involved in the activities;
- Private investment in the villages could be mobilised;
- A significant number of traditional buildings were recovered;
- A “Villages of Portugal” Booking Centre was established;
- Established and promoted an annual calendar of events.