E-Bike Region Mürztal
- Français non disponible
E-bike charge stations generate new rural tourism potential in Austria.
The Mürz valley, in eastern Austria, is surrounded by mountains and has an extended network of mountain bike trails. It was clear that the area could become a prime destination for mountain bike and e-bike tourism. However, the necessary infrastructure for e-bikers was not at a level that would support this ambition.
The NGO Regional Development Association Mürzzuschlag, supported by the Local Action Group (LAG) Mariazellerland – Mürztal, installed a robust network of 25 e-bike charging stations providing complimentary power across the eight municipalities. Promotional activities organised within the project framework included organising a competition, publishing articles, and launching a website targeting e-biker tourists from Austria and Germany.
- 25 e-bike charging stations were installed to provide power for e-bikes.
- A total of 22 mountain bike trails and three cycle paths can now be used by e-bikers. The total length of the cycling network is around 480 km.
- The new services have created an entire value chain geared towards e-bikers.
- The number of visiting e-bikers has increased despite the pandemic.
- The project can contribute to climate change mitigation as studies indicate that e-bikers drive 30% less by car.