Broadband expansion and upgrading on the island of Samsø
A LEADER funded project to expand and upgrade the current transmission network on the small island of Samsø.
The project's goal was to expand and upgrade the current transmission network on the small island of Samsø (Samsoe) with approximately 3 700 permanent residents. The network was expanded to areas of the island, which had no or only limited coverage.
Specific activities supported included the set-up and establishment of a new transmission mast and equipment in Onsbjerg. This activity consisted of conducting geotechnical studies, building the foundations for the mast and building a road; delivery and assembly of the mast and finally establishing the foundations for technology containers. Finally, the transmission network was updated by replacing the existing transmitter and receiver equipment with the new ones.
- Provided residents on the island with a fast and stable broadband.
- An estimated 800-1000 existing residents will benefit from improved connection.
- Attracted new people to the island through increased workplace facilities.
- Increased the average number of days that leisure time residents spend on the island per visit.
- Helped to maintain jobs and create jobs.