Rural Development Legislation
Rural Development policy and the definition and implementation of Rural Development Programmes (RDPs) across EU Member States are regulated by a number of legislative acts. These include basic EU Regulations defining the legal framework, as well as implementing and delegated acts regulating specific aspects of Rural Development policy.
This section provides a comprehensive list of the legislative acts relevant to the implementation of Rural Development policy in the 2014-2020 programming period.
- Common Provisions Regulation (EU) No 1303/2013 [PDF ]: a set of basic rules defining the common strategic approach for the European Structural and Investment Funds, including the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD)
- Rural Development Regulation (EU) No 1305/2013 [PDF ]: a set of specific rules on support for rural development under the EAFRD
- Horizontal Regulation (EU) No 1306/2013 [PDF ]: rules on the financing, management, and monitoring and evaluation of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP)
- Transitional Regulation (EU) No 1310/2013 [PDF ]: provisions on rural development support under the EAFRD regulating the transition between the 2007-2013 and 2014-2020 funding periods
Implementing and delegated acts
Implementing acts ensure the uniform application of EU Regulations across all Member States. Delegated acts supplement ‘non-essential elements’ of the EU Regulations.
- Implementing Regulation (EU) No 809/2014 [PDF ] laying down rules for the application of Regulation (EU) No 1306/2013 on the integrated administration and control system, rural development measures and cross compliance
- Implementing Regulation (EU) No 808/2014 [PDF ] laying down rules for the application of Regulation (EU) No 1305/2013 on support for rural development by the EAFRD
- Delegated Regulation (EU) No 807/2014 [PDF ] supplementing Regulation (EU) No 1305/2013 on support for rural development by the EAFRD and introducing transitional provisions
- Implementing Regulation (EU) No 834/2014 [PDF ] laying down rules for the application of the common monitoring and evaluation framework of the CAP
- Delegated Regulation (EU) No 640/2014 [PDF ] supplementing Regulation (EU) No 1306/2013 on integrated administration and control system and conditions for refusal or withdrawal of payments and administrative penalties applicable to direct payments, rural development support and cross compliance
Additional legislation on CAP direct payments to farmers and market measures is available here.
Guidance to EU countries and regions on policy programming and implementation is further provided by the Rural Development Committee of the European Commission in close consultation with Member States.