Promoting resource efficiency and supporting the shift towards a low-carbon and climate-resilient economy in the agriculture, food and forestry sectors
The priority at a glance
In all economic sectors, smart and sustainable growth is needed to manage scarce resources. Agriculture must use energy and water more efficiently (farms account for about 24% of total EU water use) while cutting its greenhouse gas emissions and sequestering carbon. Farming and other rural sectors can supply essential raw materials for use in the bio-economy.
Areas of intervention (Focus areas)
- Increasing efficiency in water use by agriculture.
- Increasing efficiency in energy use in agriculture and food processing.
- Facilitating the supply and use of renewable sources of energy, by-products, wastes, residues and other non-food raw materials for the bio-economy.
- Reducing nitrous oxide and methane emissions from agriculture.
- Fostering carbon sequestration in agriculture and forestry.
Access relevant resources, guidance documents and examples of RDP implementation by clicking on the below buttons.
Links to resources from the EU and Member States to support programming and implementation of rural development priorities for 2014-2020.
- OSCAR study - Optimal Strategies for Climate change Action in Rural areas
- Assessment of climate action - How to assess the mainstreaming of climate action in Partnership Agreements – ESIF - European Structural and Investment Funds 2014-2020 [PDF]
- DG CLIMA Fact Sheets: Potential for climate action - Examples of how to mainstream climate action and the potential for doing so - EAFRD - European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development - 2014-2020
- DG CLIMA Fact Sheets: Assessment of climate action - How to assess the mainstreaming of climate action in Rural Development Programmes – EAFRD - European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development - 2014-2020 [PDF]
- Methodologies for climate proofing investments and measures under cohesion and regional policy and the common agricultural policy – Identifying the climate risks related to rural areas and adaptation options [PDF]
- Methodologies for climate proofing investments and measures under cohesion and regional policy and the common agricultural policy – sectoral fiches Cohesion policy and adaptation [PDF]
- Commission Staff Working Document (SWD (2013) 139) on “Principles and recommendations for integrating climate change adaptation considerations under the 2014-2020 rural development programmes” [PDF]
Other relevant information for this section will be added in the future according to availability.
Examples of EAFRD projects, relevant case studies and stories of successful RDP implementation.
- Environmental impact
- Energy Efficiency
- Green building
- Agricultural waste
- Renewable energy
- Agricultural pollution
- Manure management
- Greenhouse gases
Relevant case studies
Links to relevant ENRD work providing a deeper understanding of how to shift towards a low-carbon and climate-resilient economy with effective RDP programming and implementation.
- CC Workshop on “Quality Design of Environmental and Climate Measures for 2014-2020 RDPs” was organised by the ENRD as a part of the preparatory activities for the new programming period 2014-2020. The workshop provides insight on the effective assessment of need and definition of priorities; the selection of measures, design and implementation; and the effective delivery of environmental services..
- Climate action provides link to screening exercise undertaken by the ENRD in 2010 to identify how the issue of climate change is being tackled in the RDPs at Member State level.
- EU Rural Review 4: Rural Development and Climate Change (May 2010), [PDF] explains the contribution that the rural development policy brings to the EU´s climate action agenda.