A working group of the BCO - European Broadband Competence Offices network has drafted recommendations to the European Commission and Member States to revise the 'Guide to high-speed broadband investment' adapting it to rural areas.
- taking the specificities of declining rural areas into account;
- easing state aid approval for municipal projects;
- easing state aid for areas that already have access to 30 Mbps;
- ensuring a legal environment that facilitates citizen initiatives;
- set up state aid frameworks that allow smaller municipalities to drive broadband investments.
Despite recent improvements in connectivity to fast internet, rural areas are still at disadvantage in the digital single market.