This ENRD workshop discussed ways of improving the attractiveness of rural areas for young people and included examples of how to create relevant employment opportunities and services.
The event featured seven presentations of inspiring youth initiatives and projects by young farmers, entrepreneurs, and a vlogger from Austria, Bulgaria, Finland, Germany, Spain, England and Scotland, UK. These examples focused on youth entrepreneurship, rural-urban linkages, communication, and digitisation.
In addition, the event discussed specific policy tools and practices in the aim of developing recommendations for future policies. Participants identified success factors and transferability of ideas and projects on a wider scale, addressing topics such as exchange schemes for young farmers LEADER/CLLD and youth, and combination of policy tools and funds.
- Purpose, structure of the day and outcomes of the Cyprus meeting, Gaya Ducceschi and David Lamb, ENRD CP
- Age structure and other trends in the EU-28 and rural Europe, Peter Toth, ENRD CP
- Bridging the work on migrants with youth: the project ‘New in the country – new to the countryside’, Jeanette Unér, LAG Folkungaland, Sweden
- The situation of rural youth in Europe, Pia Winsten, Rural Youth Europe
- Overview of policy tools and approaches to support young people in rural areas, Peter Toth, ENRD CP
- Attracting young talents to rural areas, Arnau Martínez Fernández, Odisseu, Spain (LEADER)
- Urban youth in rural areas, Martin Kolev, Baba Residence, Bulgaria
- Developing the voice of young people in rural area, Sarah Allison, Scotland, UK
- New perspectives: smart transformation of a traditional farm village, Kaspar Haller, Germany
- Communicating about rural areas in the language of youth, Joona Hellman, Finnish Youth Vlogger
- ‘I buy my goods at home’ (Daheim kauf ich ein), Julia Saurwein, Rural Youth Europe, Austria
- Fields of Vision - Rural Crime Prevention, Joe Holmes, Rural Youth Europe, England, UK
- Farming connect management exchange programme: Cymru-Wales-Pays de Galles, Gethin Owen, Wales, UK
- Project ‘Regionale Jeugddienst Meetjesland’, Gianni Focquaert, Regionale Jeugddienst Meetjesland
- ESF interventions in Hungary for young people in rural areas, Zoltán Balogh, DG Employment (European Commission)
- I buy my goods at home, Rural Youth Austria
- Demonstrating Social Inclusion while promoting change in Scottish agriculture, Soil Association Scotland, UK
- Fields of Vision, rural crime, Worth Valley YFC, England, UK
- ODISSEU, Spain
- New perspectives: smart transformation of a traditional farm village, Germany