The workshop focused on the state of implementation of the current biodiversity-related Measures in the Rural Development Programmes (RDPs) and on the coordination with other policy instruments. It provided an opportunity to share good practice examples, exchange on bottlenecks and lessons learned, and discuss the future of biodiversity conservation in the 2021-2027 CAP Strategic Plans.
This one-day event aimed to:
- Provide an overview of the contribution of the 2014-2020 EAFRD to the protection of the EU biodiversity policy goals.
- Exchange on how to ensure the effective involvement and co-ordination of relevant authorities and stakeholders in biodiversity support.
- Discuss the design of the specific objective for the protection of biodiversity in the future CAP Strategic Plans and how to make links with EU Nature legislation (Birds and Habitats Directives).
Agricultural and environmental authorities, farmers’ organisations and environmental NGOs discussed how the CAP and Rural Development Programmes have contributed to conservation goals over the past and current programming periods. The workshop allowed to explore ways of fostering cooperation among all the relevant rural stakeholders engaged in biodiversity conservation, aiming to ensure that appropriate measures be included in the future CAP Strategic Plans.
- Supporting biodiversity conservation through the EAFRD: now and in the future, Krzysztof Sulima, European Commission, DG Agriculture and Rural Development
- Overview of EU Biodiversity policy, Vujadin Kovacevic, European Commission, DG Environment
- Biodiversity Policy and Agriculture, Hannah Denniston, Ministry of Agriculture - Dept. of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Ireland
- Fostering the coordination of agricultural and environmental policy for better biodiversity conservation - Experience from Wallonia, Belgium, Tomy Tchatchou, Wallonie Environnement, Belgium
- Stakeholder involvement for conservation action - lessons of 2014-2020 CAP programming, Harriet Bradley, BirdLife Europe
- BIOGEA project: green and blue infrastructure and the CAP, Katrina Marsden, Adelhpi Research, Germany
- Common Agricultural Policy post-2020, Martin Scheele, European Commission, DG Agriculture and Rural Development
- Working groups: Implementing biodiversity policy - lessons learned
- Discussion tables: Must-have elements for ensuring biodiversity is properly included in the future CAP Strategic Plans
- The post-2020 Common Agricultural Policy: environmental benefits and simplification, DG Agriculture and Rural Development, European Commission
- EU Platform on Coexistence between People and Large Carnivores
- Rural Development Support for Coexistence between People and Large Carnivores
- Recommendations from the 6th regional workshop of the EU Large Carnivore Platform (September 2018)
- BIOGEA project outputs