The first meeting of the Thematic Group (TG) on ‘Mainstreaming the Bioeconomy’ brought together a diverse group of stakeholders to define and agree priorities, methodologies and communication tools for the TG.
The TG’s overall objective is to encourage the development of sustainable Bioeconomy value chains in rural areas in order to promote economic growth and employment whilst preserving eco-systems.
Key highlight messages included the need for synergies between policy instruments at various levels, importance of developing territorial and local approaches, and attracting new investments. Better communications and engagement of different stakeholders were recommended.
The meeting results will guide the work of the TG until June 2019, with two more live meetings, continuous online engagement and a new Bioeconomy portal to be launched on the ENRD website.
- TG objectives and proposed activities, Flavio Conti, Elena Di Federico, Carlos de la Paz, ENRD Contact Point
- Bioeconomy value chains and rural development: the policy context, Catherine Bowyer and Ben Allen, ENRD Contact Point /IEEP
- Bioeconomy value chains and rural development: overview of ongoing initiatives in Southern Europe and main barriers, Sandro Angiolini, ENRD Contact Point
- Revised EU Bioeconomy strategy in the context of CAP post-2020, Galin Gentchev, DG Agriculture and Rural Development, European Commission
- Latvian Bioeconomy Strategy 2030, Laura Liepiņa, Ministry of Agriculture, Latvia
- Bioeconomy in Spain, Maria Teresa Ambros Mendioroz, Ministry of Agriculture, Spain
- Bioeconomy value chains, Ben Allen, ENRD Contact Point /IEEP