The current transition period is a time when Member States continue with the implementation of LEADER under the 2014-2022 programming period rules. At the same time, Member States are finalising their CAP Strategic Plans, and starting to design national implementing rules, procedures, and guidance for the selection of LAGs and the selection and implementation of local development strategies.
Lessons learnt from LEADER work carried out during recent years of the 2014-2022 programming period by the ENRD Contact Point indicate that the full application of the seven key principles of LEADER by all LAGs remains challenging (and challenged) whereas it is in fact the main source of LEADER’s added value.
The LEADER Thematic Group ‘Making the seven LEADER principles work in practice for all LAGs under the CAP Strategic Plans’ is based around each of the seven LEADER principles as defined in legislation (Art 31.2. of Regulation (EU) 1060/2021). These are:
- (1) appropriate territorial level (subregional)
- (2) bottom-up + (3) balanced/inclusive partnership of public and private local socio-economic interests
- (4) strategies
- (5) networking, (6) innovative features in the local context, and (7) cooperation with other territorial actors
This was the first meeting of the Thematic Group (TG), which was organised with the ambition to facilitate discussion and exchanges between the TG members for a common understanding of the seven LEADER principles, about the factors ‘blocking’ and ‘conducive’ to this and relevant Member State experiences related to the practical implementation of the seven LEADER principles.
Aims of the meeting
- To achieve a common and clear understanding of each of the seven LEADER principles;
- To discuss what qualifies as ‘non-implementation’ of the seven LEADER principles, and what are the key factors affecting (‘blocking’ and conducive to) the application of the seven LEADER principles in practice;
- To share and discuss relevant Member State experiences in relation supporting the full application of the seven LEADER principles; and
- To agree on the working method of the Thematic Group and key steps of the work leading up to the 2nd TG meeting and completion of recommendations.