Preparing the ex ante evaluation
- Tool 1.1 - Indicative roadmap for the ex ante evaluation and Strategic Environmental Assessment of the CAP Strategic Plan: illustrates possible ways of organising the ex ante evaluation and Strategic Environmental Assessment in relation to the programming process.
- Tool 1.2 - Indicative outline of terms of reference for the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plan: provides a generic template for tendering out the ex ante evaluation. The template additionally provides practical hints to be considered while tendering the evaluation.
- Tool 1.3 - Indicative outline of terms of reference for the Strategic Environmental Assessment of the CAP Strategic Plan: describes the requirements of the SEA directive to be fulfilled and what needs to be considered to ensure the SEA and ex ante evaluation can be used in concurrence.
- Tool 1.4 - Stakeholder mapping checklist: supports the identification of different actors who could be involved in the ex ante evaluation and SEA for the CAP Strategic Plan.
- To improve the quality of the design of the CAP Strategic Plan.
- To establish the starting point of the evaluation during the implementation period in 2021-2027.
- Scope and tasks of the ex ante evaluation are specified in the legal proposal for the CAP Strategic Plan, regulation (COM/2018/392 final), Art. 125.
- The requirements of the Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) are specified in the SEA Directive (2001/42/EC).
- The ex ante evaluation should be carried out (e.g. tendered, contracted and managed) under the responsibility of the authority responsible for the preparation of the CAP Strategic Plan.
- The ex ante evaluation can be contracted separately or jointly with the Strategic Environmental Assessment (depending on national legislation).
- The ex ante evaluation should be developed by a functionally independent ex ante evaluator, who provides step-by-step feedback on the various elements, which need to be appraised in the ex ante evaluation.
- The Managing Authority ensures that the ex ante evaluation conforms to the evaluation and monitoring system.
- The complete ex ante evaluation report is submitted to the Managing Authority for approval by the independent evaluator.
- A summary of the main results of the ex ante evaluation with a link to the complete ex ante evaluation report together with the SEA in the Annex I of the CAP Strategic Plan is submitted to the European Commission by the responsible Managing Authority.
- How can the programming, ex ante assessment and SEA be interlinked?
- How can uncertainties regarding the timing for the approval of the legal proposals be dealt with?
- How can the terms of reference for tendering the ex ante evaluations be formulated?
- How can stakeholders involved in the process of the ex ante evaluation be identified?
- What constitutes a robust ex ante evaluation?
- Defining what must be covered in the ex ante evaluation (tasks)?
- Examples of how to organise the ex ante evaluation have been presented at the good practice workshop. ‘Getting prepared for the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plan’ in Brussels on 21 March 2019.
- Guidelines for the Ex ante Evaluation of 2014 – 2020 RDPs
- Factsheet of an overview of the tendering and contracting procedures for the ex ante evaluation in Slovenia of the rural development programme 2014–2020.
- Factsheet on the tendering of the ex ante evaluation in Greece.