From the AIR in 2019 to the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plan: What are the key lessons from the AIR in 2019 for the set-up of the monitoring and evaluation system post 2020? What lessons shall be taken into account during the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plans 2021-27?
The EvaluationWORKS! 2019 Yearly Capacity Building events take place between September and November 2019 in a period where Member States have just assessed their RDPs’ progress towards the programme objectives and the achievements of the Union’s Strategy of smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. At the same time, Member States will be preparing the ex ante evaluation of their CAP Strategic Plans 2021-27. It is therefore vital, that at this moment the key lessons on the functioning of the Common Monitoring and Evaluation System (CMES) are commonly discussed and adequately considered when preparing the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plans 2021-2027.
For the EvaluationWORKS! 2019 Yearly Capacity Building event the following topic has been chosen ‘From the AIR in 2019 to the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plan’.
This topic has been divided into the following sub-topics, which Member States may freely cover:
- Discussion on the quality of the evaluations for the AIR submitted in June 2019
- Discussion on follow-up of evaluations for the AIR in 2019 (for ex ante, ex post, Evaluation Plan)
- General information on the requirements and planning of the ex ante (legal basis, timing, ToR, quality criteria)
- Ex ante appraisal of SWOT/NA
- Ex ante appraisal of intervention logic, targets, milestones
The EvaluationWORKS! 2019 events aim to:
- Achieve a shared understanding among actors concerning the quality of the evaluations carried out in the context of the AIR 2019 in the given Member State (in terms of compliance, robustness, evidence-basis, usefulness, etc.).
- Collaboratively draw lessons to increase the quality of future evaluations by taking into account at the Member State level past experiences to improve the setting up of the Performance Monitoring and Evaluation System Framework (PMEF) of the CAP Strategic Plan 2021-2027.
- Reflect on how the ex ante evaluation of the CAP Strategic Plan 2021-2027 can be most useful for improving the design of the CAP Strategic Plan and act as a starting point for the evaluation during the implementation period.
Participants of the capacity building events will have the opportunity to have structured discussions with evaluation stakeholders in which they can draw from their individual experiences to exchange on what has worked well and what potentially needs to still be improved at the RDP level.
These events are carried out in the local languages across the Member States by the Helpdesk’s network of Geographic Experts and are adapted to meet the needs and specificities of each Member State.