Communicating Rural Development
Communication is a vital support to the implementation of the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) , helping EU Member States promote rural development policy.
Each EU Rural Development Programme is required to include a communications action plan. This is vital to ensure that beneficiaries are aware of and understand how to access the funds available and also for European citizens to learn about the concrete benefits generated by EU rural development policy.
Communicating the EAFRD should reflect the European Commission’s overall approach to communication, which is based on three main principles:
- Listening to the public - taking their views and concerns into account; communication is a dialogue, not a one-way street. It is not just about informing EU citizens but it is also about citizens expressing their opinions so that the European Commission can understand their perceptions and concerns
- Explaining how policies, programmes and projects affect peoples’ everyday lives in a manner that people can understand and relate to if citizens are to follow political developments at European level.
- And Connecting with people locally – addressing them in their national or local settings, through their favourite media
The communications activities of the EAFRD, both at European and national level, are meant to be in line with the overall communication strategy of the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Agriculture and Rural Development (DG AGRI). With the appointment of the current Commission in 2010, a new strategy was established to be in line with the communication challenges for the period 2010-2015, mainly the reform of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) and the new programming phase 2014-2020. The identification and collection of concrete examples and success stories from a diverse range of topics and Member States, is crucial for an effective communication to both beneficiaries and the wider audience.
Dissemination of Project Examples
The ENRD disseminates relevant project examples from RDPs being implemented all across Europe through multiple means, including:
- EAFRD Project brochures, a collection of RDP projects stories published on different themes and in 6 languages
- Exaples of Projects and Practices
- RDP projects videos, available soon
NRN Thematic Initiative
The ENRD has launched a NRN Communications thematic initiative with the aim of fostering exchange of best practices in the way Member states communicate their RDPs and EAFRD in general . Furthermore, the initiatives aims at displaying to a wider audience the achievements and challenges in implementing rural development policies at local level using the vast array of products, tools, publications, campaigns which are available all across Europe and which have been funded under the EAFRD.