CAP towards 2020
Common Agricultural Policy (CAP): Looking Ahead
Public debate on the future of the CAP
The EU’s Common Agriculture Policy (CAP) is due to be reformed by 2013. Prior to setting down initial policy guidelines for this sector, on 12 April 2010, Dacian Cioloş, the European Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, launched a public debate on the future of the CAP inviting all interested EU citizens and organisations to participate.
The following questions were asked by the European Commission to launch the debate:
- What should be the objectives of future rural development policy?
- How can policy instruments be made more effective?
- How can policy management be improved?
On the 14 April 2010 an extraordinary meeting of the ENRD Coordination Committee was held at which the members were invited to launch the public debate on the CAP in their respective countries and organisations.
The members were requested to send their contributions by 3 June 2010. To read contributions by country, as well as the synthesis of these contributions, click here.
On the basis of this debate the European Commission presented on 18 November 2010 a Communication on "The CAP towards 2020", which outlines options for the future CAP.
European Commission’s legal proposals for rural development after 2013
On 12 October 2011 the Commission presented a set of legal proposals for the period 2013-2020.
The proposals included a draft regulation [PDF ] covering support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD). This new EAFRD proposal builds on rural development policy’s CAP foundations and is closely aligned to the Europe 2020 strategy for growth.
Following a debate in the European Parliament and the Council, the approval of the different regulations and implementing acts is expected by the end of 2013, with a view to having the CAP reform in place as from 1 January 2014.
For further background information on the public debate please click on the following links:
- Commissioner Ciolos' speech on ‘The future of European agricultural policy - Call for a public debate’ April 2010 [PDF ]
- Questions on the rural development aspects [PDF ]
- ENRD Coordination committee presentation on the public debate on the CAP after 2013, April 2010 [PDF ]
- Synthesis of contributions received through the ENRD (13/07/2010) [PDF ]
- A short guide to the European Commission’s proposals for EU rural development after 2013 [PDF ]
Additional information on the wider CAP debate can also be found at the following link: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/cap-post-2013/debate/index_en.htm.
For further information on the EC’s legal proposals for rural development after 2013 please refer to the official web page of the European Commission’s Directorate General for Agriculture and Rural Development at the following link: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/cap-post-2013/legal-proposals/index_en.htm