This ENRD workshop discussed how the Rural Development Programmes (RDPs) can foster farm resilience, generate and stabilise farm income, and reinforce existing initiatives.
In particular, the event explored how RDP Measures on risk management, advisory services, knowledge transfer, investments, innovation, diversification, and their strategic combination can empower farmers to risk-proof their businesses. It further looked at tools and approaches to business development and risk management in view of sequential economic crises, increasing market volatility, and climate unpredictability.
The event brought together farmers, business and financial sectors representatives, advisory services, Managing Authorities, and Paying Agencies.
- Farm resilience and income generation in the EU: Needs and opportunities, Jose Manuel Hernandez-Luque, DG AGRI (Unit F.1)
- Risk management under the EAFRD – an overview, Christian Vincentini, DG AGRI (Unit F.1)
- Risk management – EAFRD supported examples from the Member States:
- Succeeding in the milk crisis through strategic investments and business management – the farmer’s perspective, Michael Dörr, Farmer (Ceres Award winner), Germany (video)
- Using and explaining market research as a basis for investment strategies, Désirée Handke, DLZ Agrarmagazin, Germany
- Academy and Forum of Diversification, Dr. Lofner-Meir, Advisory Services, Germany
- The impact of working circles - Increase farm resilience in the lamb sector, Josef Erlacher, Project Manager of Wipplamb, Italy
- Support to innovative business strategies, David Ashford, Policy advisor, Welsh Government, UK
- Big data and IT applications for market observation, Pilar Garrido, Regional Ministry of Agriculture, Spain
- Increasing production efficiency through innovation, Sirpa Karjalainen, DG AGRI (Unit B.2)