Enhancing stakeholder involvement, developing and exchanging new knowledge, and improving performance were some of the main topics discussed at the EU’s first ever Rural Networks Assembly.
Held in Brussels on 26 January 2015, the first Rural Networks Assembly marked a major milestone in increasing stakeholder involvement in the implementation of EU Rural Development policy. The Assembly provided a unified platform to share stakeholder priorities and concerns covering all aspects of rural development policy 2014-2020, ranging from programming to evaluation and from CLLD to innovation.
The Rural Networks’ Assembly was successfully launched as the main governance body of the ENRD and EIP-AGRI networks and as an effective forum for debating the strategic framework for their activities.
The objectives of the meeting were:
- To reach a common understanding of the aims and functions of the common governance structure and organisation of the ENRD and EIP-AGRI networks and adopt the rules of procedure of the Assembly.
- To discuss the strategic framework for the rural networks, based on a logical framework derived from EU legislation.
- To identify priorities and subjects for the thematic work to be carried out by the ENRD and EIP-AGRI network, particularly for 2015.
- To propose the membership of the Steering Group.
The meeting was well attended and exchanges both lively and productive.
Reports and summaries
- One-page overview summary of the first Rural Networks’ Assembly
- Full Report of the Rural Networks’ Assembly 1st Meeting 26 January 2015 [PDF]
- Two-page Executive Summary of the full report
- The draft paper "EU Rural Networks strategic framework and governance bodies", basis for discussions at the meeting.
- The annex to the Strategic Framework: the Commission Implementing Decision 2014(825)EU; Setting up the organisational structure and operation for the European network for rural development and for the European Innovation Partnership network. (Also avaible in all languages)
- The rules of procedure of the Rural Networks' Assembly (revised version of 4 September 2015). [PDF]
- ‘EU Rural Networks' Governance Structure’ by Antonella Zona, DG AGRI
- ‘Setting up the Rural Networks' Steering Group’ by Matthias Langemeyer, DG AGRI
- ‘Subgroup on Leader and Community-led Local Development’ by Riin Saluveer, DG AGRI
- ‘Subgroup on innovation for agricultural productivity and sustainability’ by Pilar Gumma, DG AGRI
- ‘Strategic Framework for the EU Rural Networks’ by Rob Peters, Head of Unit, DG AGRI
- ‘Introduction to the parallel workshops’ by Michael Gregory, ENRD Contact Point
- ‘Reports from Workshops’ by workshop reporters
- ‘How to bring this further? Next steps’ by Markus Holzer, Head of Unit, DG AGRI